Unfortunately, many high school seniors who plan to attend college in the fall fail to do so. This issue is known as "summer melt" or "summer attrition". To combat this issue, there are several strategies to support students.
ASPIRE Summer Bridge Program
By completing the Summer Bridge Interest Form, ASPIRE staff will send students important reminders throughout the summer via text or email.
- WorkSystems, Inc offers internships through a Summer Youth Employment Program.
- Portland Parks & Recreation offers summer employment for 15-18 year old students through their Summer Camp Program.
- Volunteer Information: To help gain experience and boost eligibility for scholarships students will need to show involvement in their community. To help with this, see the info about Hands on Portland, Volunteer Match and United Way, and to help keep track of activities, record them on the OSAC Activities Chart. This can also help you create a resume in the future.
- SAT and ACT Tests: Juniors who plan to attend a 4-year college will need to take the SAT and/or ACT in the spring of their junior year, or at the latest, fall of their senior year. They can also retake it if they would like to try and better their score.
- Oregon GEAR UP maintains this list of summer enrichment opportunities.