2-Year Path


Two-year colleges offer programs that lead to an associate degree or certificate in a specified field. Course paths include:

  • liberal arts/transfer curriculum: covers many of the general education requirements for a baccalaureate degree

  • occupational/technical programs: develop technical skills for the workforce; for students new to the workforce or those looking to advance in their field

  • developmental education: helps students improve their basic academic skills and prepare for other college courses

  • non-degree seeking: courses created to respond to individuals’ and communities’ social, intellectual, and recreational interests

Oregon Colleges


  • Save money: whether you intend to transfer after two years to pursue a baccalaureate degree or not, community college will help you save money on tuition (and potentially more costs like room and board, travel, and food).

  • Oregon Promise Grant: This state grant covers some or all tuition at any Oregon community college for recent high school graduates and GED recipients. Check OregonStudentAid.gov for application deadlines.

  • Oregon Transfer Degree: These degrees are designed for students who want to complete their first two years at a community college, with flexibility to then transfer to any institution within the Oregon University System (OUS). Talk to individual schools for more information.

  • Schedule Flexibility: Most community colleges offer courses online, at night, or on weekends

Application Tips

  • Each community college has individual scholarship programs. Don't overlook these opportunities!

  • Create the same type of application plan that you would for 4-year colleges

  • If a student plans to transfer to a 4-year university after graduating, they should meet with a community college advisor and ensure that courses meet the transfer requirements. Not meeting requirements is a major obstacle students face when trying to transfer.

  • Apply for dual enrollment to take some classes at the community college and some at the affiliated university.